Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" townhouse sold for $6 million



Jennifer and I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" one Saturday afternoon when we'd first moved to NYC--pre-kids, and pre-Internet. In one scene I caught a glimpse of the numbers on the outside of the townhouse, so I paused the DVD (more likely VHS) and sketched a few images on a sheet of paper, then got up and grabbed my jacket.

Jen said, "What are you doing?"

I said, "I'm going to find that house. I bet I can find it in two hours."

That's the kind of spontaneity one has when one doesn't have kids.

Two hours later I was back.

"I found it! It's on East 71st between 3rd and Lex!"

I explained how I knew the street number was 169, and I figured it was probably on the East Side rather than the West Side, because in 1961 no movie would've been set on the West Side unless it was West Side Story. It was an odd number, so I knew it was on the north side of the block, and it was between 100 and 200, so it was between 3rd and Lex. (I just guessed it would be uptown because it seemed like that's where someone fashionable would live in 1961.) So from there it was just a matter of walking up and down every block on the Upper East Side until I recognized it.

I don't have an obsessive personality, honest. Except for really important things like this.

Here's the link.




No comments:

Post a Comment