Sunday, January 26, 2014

Crowded bed


Ethan came into our room last night at 3am and asked if he could sleep with us.

Jen takes her half of the bed no matter what, so if Ethan's there my half is reduced to a quarter, and I have to sleep on my side. It was fine when the boys were little--I enjoyed cuddling with them. I recall once when we checked into a hotel, and instead of queen beds our room had one king-size bed, and I was happy about it. But that was then, this is now. At 12, Ethan's too old for cuddling, and I need room to sleep.

I'm pretty sure we're in the final throes of this ritual anyway. Just as 2013 was the last year he wanted to hold my hand, I have a feeling that 2014 is the last year he'll want to sleep in our bed. God forbid he should want to sleep with us when he's 21. But in the meantime...

I waited until he fell asleep, then put my arm around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment