Monday, June 29, 2015

Hand-me-downs


I'm very excited. These shoes are my first hand-me-downs since probably 1977, when I got my brother's velour shirts or flare-leg jeans or something.

They were Ethan's shoes, and he got new ones, but instead of throwing the old ones out, he just left them in the foyer. I noticed them one night last week when I was taking the dogs out. I've been wearing them every day since.

Yesterday the doorman said, "Hey, nice shoes. Are those Van's?"

I said, "I have no idea. I don't know what Van's are." (It turns out they are.) So apparently I'm making a fashion statement in addition to getting free shoes.

Last night it was raining lightly, and I noticed my right heel was wet. Then I realized why Ethan got new ones--there's a small hole in the right heel. So I may retire these sooner rather than later.

But there's something comforting about wearing them. I think it's my psychological way of not letting go of Ethan.

1 comment: