Saturday, March 25, 2017
Jen and I took our first vacation in 18 years without kids.
We went to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.
We did the typical Caribbean vacation things: hung out on the beach, parasailed, snorkeled, ate, drank.
We took a total of two pictures. This was the better one.
It was a nice getaway.
Friday, March 17, 2017
Friday, March 10, 2017
One of the best things about getting old (aside from still being alive) is that the bar continues to get lower for physical feats.
I last ran a 5-minute mile on my 40th birthday. I last ran a 6-minute mile when I was probably 50.
Now, at 54, every little injury sets me back, every winter season without speed work sets me back, and...honestly, I'm not motivated to sear my lungs and pull a hamstring for the sake of running a mile time that's not very impressive anyway. What's in it for me? Just run slower and enjoy it.
But I'm competitive by nature, the weather has been decent lately, and my weight is finally back down a bit.
So over the past few weeks I've run a couple of 6:43s, followed by a 3:03 half mile (I could barely move my legs the final 100 yards).
Yesterday I said, "Hmm, let's try a 6:30, for fun." My first quarter was :90 (oops, too fast), my half was 3:07 (better), and I finished in 6:33 without any kick (not that I really had one, but I didn't feel like I was going to keel over).
I'm going to do more 3:00 halves throughout the spring, try to extend the pace to three quarters, and see if there's a 6:00 or 6:15 mile left in this body sometime over the summer.
No big deal if I can't. But I am who I am.
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Happy 16th birthday, Ethan, my little existential spaceman, constantly testing the bonds of Earth. I am so blessed to be on this tiny rock at the edge of the universe with you; it has meaning because of you. You are the greatest boy any dad could wish for, and I would watch you grow up a hundred times again if I could, again and again and again, feeling more blessed every time.
Sunday, February 26, 2017
I texted Samuel last week to ask if he wanted to see Huey Lewis & the News in concert in Staten Island tonight. But it's a Sunday night, and he has school tomorrow, and the concert wouldn't end until late, and it's a 3-hour drive back to Trinity. So I knew that wasn't going to happen.
Then, on a whim, I searched "Christopher Lloyd." Lo and behold, he was appearing in person in Easton, PA for a live Q&A following a screening of "Back to the Future" on Saturday night (last night). It wasn't quite sold out, so I bought two tickets, reserved a rental car, and Samuel and I drove to Easton early yesterday evening in a raging thunderstorm to see Doc Brown (how fitting).
Samuel and I have both seen the movie so many times that we know every scene and practically every line, but it's always fun to see again. It was great to see Christopher Lloyd in person, who is 78 years old. (Just doing the math, he was seven years younger than I am now when he was in "BTTF." Great Scott. That's heavy, Doc.)
Most of all it was fun being with Samuel, just a dad and his son.
Sunday, February 19, 2017
5. The weather topped 60. I went running in the park Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'm sore from running three days in a row. But it feels like summer.
4. We finally caught that damn mouse. We haven't had a mouse in ten years, and about two weeks ago Jen saw a small one peeking out from behind the kitchen stove. We put traps out, including a battery-operated zapper, but no luck. Today Jen said, "Did you just hear a buzzing noise?" The zapper got him.
3. I got a haircut. And can I tell you? I look awesome.
2. Jen and I made reservations for a romantic vacation in the Dominican Republic in March. We haven't been on a romantic vacation since...ever. We haven't even had time to make the damn reservations.
1. I sold a picture book manuscript on Friday. It will be book #8. Caveat: it's not a done deal 'til it's a done deal, so we'll chill on this while the paperwork gets worked out. But the excitement comes when you read the email that you got an offer, not when you sign the contract. So it's #1 this weekend.