Saturday, October 17, 2015

Texas Book Festival: Day 1

This morning I met John Rocco for the first time--my collaborator on "Beep! Beep!" Several people today were surprised to learn that we'd never met while working on the book. The reality is that the words were all mine and the pictures were all his, and the way they were melded together was all the editor's.

We got a warm welcome from Zavala Elementary School in Austin. Note the kids' robot artwork.



Our books were stacked in the library and ready to hand out to every kid in attendance.


We did two half-hour sessions, which seemed like ten minutes. I read the book, then John showed his illustration process. His part was educational. My role was basically to warm up the crowd and get them shouting "Beep! Beep!"


Afterwards we attended a "Reading Rock Stars" author luncheon at a penthouse overlooking the city, and when I looked out the window I saw some kayaks on the lake and thought, "Man, that's what I want to be doing right now."

Turns out we had the afternoon free, and John had to work. So...you know...




Not as fun as a group outing. But better than being at work.

Tonight there was a cocktail party to kick off the Festival. I met several nice folks, including fellow children's authors Nikki Loftin ("Wish Girl") and Chris Barton ("Shark vs. Train"). 


(Note to self: cut back on the Snickers...starting to look an awful lot like John McCain.)

2 comments: