Thursday, October 15, 2015

What went through my mind while waiting to get on the plane today


I'm on my way to Austin for the Texas Book Festival. Only people who remember "Risky Business" will relate to the following. It helps if you play the YouTube musical clip above while reading.

The dream is always the same. 

Instead of going to my seat in Coach, I go to First Class. The curtain is open, so I go inside. I'm looking around for the people, but nobody seems to be there. And then I hear a giggle, so I go over to the row to see what's what.


That's when I see her, this...single mom...with a toddler. What they're doing there I have no idea...but it's a dream, so I go with it.


"Who's there?" she says.


"Todd," I say.


"What are you doing here?"


"I don't know what I'm doing here. What are you doing here?"


"I'm taking a nap," she says.


Then I give her, "You want me to go?"


"No," she says. "I want you to play with my toddler."


So now I'm getting enthusiastic about this dream. So I go to the toddler, but she's hard to find through all the leather folds of the First-Class seats. I keep losing her. 


Finally I get to her...and I find myself in a room full of MBAs working on PowerPoint slides. I'm over three hours late; I've got two minutes to finish my entire presentation. I've just made a terrible mistake. I'll never pay off my mortgage. My life is ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment