Sunday, September 16, 2018

Anyway, the thing is, what I really mean: Bernie Taupin's worst lyrics


Someone saved my life tonight, Sugar Bear.
(And then he rhymed it with "Didja dear?")

So excuse me forgettin'
but these things I do
You see I've forgotten
if they're green or they're blue
Anyway, the thing is, what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen
(This is an example of gotta-hand-in-these-lyrics-in-an-hour.)

So where's the Shoorah she sang
You know I hear it again my friend
Where's the Shoorah, she came upon it
Waiting to sing her back
'Cause she likes to sing about
Where's the Shoorah she sang
(Such a great melody. Kick-ass choir doing the back-up. Elton sings it with such devotion it makes you want to believe in God. But if there is a God, why would he allow lyrics like these?)

And now she's in me
Always with me
Tiny dancer in my hand
(I'm picturing Elton having just swallowed Tinkerbell, then spit her out in his hand. But surely that can't be what he means. Can it?)

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise the kids
In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them
If you did
(I like the "If you did" at the end, just to put an exclamation point on the badness.)

Okay, out of my system. I can go back to bashing Bob Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment