Monday, January 14, 2019

Dear Samuel


I miss you already.

It was so wonderful having you home from college for Christmas. 

Your brown eyes are gentle like a deer, deep like a still lake, peaceful like autumn leaves, nurturing like the earth. They suit you. I am a bit startled to see them in this photo, as they have been covered by Virtual Reality goggles for the past several weeks. But I knew they were there.

Thank you for accepting the changes in our lives over the past year with grace and optimism. Thank you for your empathy and compassion and love. 

Thank you for charting the path of your own life, however tenuous and uncertain it still seems. God forbid you should have everything planned out when you're twenty. 

I look at you in your empty dorm room and I see one small person with a big heart and an empty slate waiting to be painted. Literally. That room needs to be painted. 

Thank you for being you...and whoever you become. There is no one else I would ever want you to be. I'm here when you need me.

Love,

Dad

2 comments: