Thursday, June 11, 2020

A few quotes

Each morning my company has a short team-building session during which we each answer a particular question, share a memory, or respond to some similar assignment.

Today's task was to share our favorite quotes. We had everything from the Bible to E.B. White to Winston Churchill to Dr. Seuss to Katy Perry to Jane Austen to Public Enemy.

My choices, on this particular day:

"But it does."
--Galileo, following his apology to the Court of Inquisition for claiming the Earth moves around the Sun

Why I chose it: You can believe anything you want. If you're particularly powerful, you can make others agree with you. But it still doesn't make you right. 

"There are 100 billion galaxies, each with, on average, 100 billion stars."
--Carl Sagan

Why I chose it: The universe is really, really big. We are really, really small. That is good to keep in mind.

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."
--Carl Sandburg

Why I chose it: The universe may be big, and we may be small. But we are not insignificant. This is not a pitch for having more babies. It's just a pitch for deciding for yourself what is significant about your life, what you've brought to the world, and how the world will be better because of it. You may have a different answer than me. But I have mine.

1 comment: