Tuesday, October 26, 2010

There is a happy ending


It's official. I'm the only person other than Michael J. Fox's mother ever to get choked up while watching "Back to the Future."

AMC Theatres had a special showing of the original movie to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Marty McFly's time travel. So we rounded up a bunch of Samuel and Ethan's friends from school and went down to 42nd Street to see it.


It was almost a full house, and the crowd was rowdy--clapping and whooping at all the key lines ("Doc, you're telling me you built a time machine out of a DeLorean?").

And when we got to the part where George wins Lorraine by knocking out Biff, the audience erupted in cheers, and I, well, I got a lump in my throat, swallowed hard, and looked up at the ceiling for a few seconds.


I thought, here is an entire theater full of people who like BTTF as much as my 12-year-old son does. And I immediately knew that things will turn out okay for Samuel. He'll grow up to be the person he was meant to be, with friends who share his passions. All the things I love about him--his scientific mind, his creativity, his earnestness, his gentleness, his inquisitiveness--will all be appreciated by, at minimum, a theater full of people who cheer when good triumphs over evil and DeLoreans travel through time. I glanced over at him clapping, and I clapped too, and my heart was 1.21 jigawatts big.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear of someone with as much of an obsession with this movie as myself. Now make like a tree and get outta here!

    ReplyDelete