Saturday, May 12, 2012

Chicago

They say it's a toddlin' town, but I'll be damned if I know what that means.

I had an overnight trip this week to give a presentation to the Chicago sales team, so that they'll be inspired to sell more advertising, so that we'll generate more revenue, so that I can ask for more investment, so that we'll generate more revenue. And if you repeat that process enough times it's pretty easy to see how we'll all become mega-millionaires. Or at least I'll get to keep my job.

I got into town a day early and drove two hours west to Prophetstown to see my in-laws. My father-in-law had been in the hospital for some tests, so Jennifer had made me promise to hug him for her--which sounds easy when your wife says it but in real life is kinda awkward. I had supper with them at the Prophetstown Diner, then drove two hours back to Chicago. (In the midwest it's supper, not dinner.)

Two hours in Prophetstown, Illinois is just right: like a pleasant dream filled with green grass, American flags, small-town smiles, and the warmth of family--without an iota of boredom or feeling like I need to check my email. Aside from my butt being sore, it was also nice to drive for four hours by myself, just singing songs and listening to classic '70s rock and conservative talk radio. Watching the farmland whiz by at 70 mph, thinking and plotting and pondering life. Being glad I'm not a farmer. Being glad I'm not a regular listener to conservative talk radio.

My presentation to the sales team the next day went well. I got back to NYC in time to kiss my boys goodnight and snuggle up to my wife and remind her what a good husband I am.

2 comments:

  1. I've been sitting here thinking about this as I read your post. Life is busy and I don't get to read blog posts as often as I'd like to but I'm always fascinated when I do. It's like I'm a distant observer, looking through a small window, at all of these interesting lives so different from my own interesting life. It's also comforting somehow to notice common threads running through the bits and pieces of life that are saved and shared in print-- things I recognize and can relate to. Your love of your family and children in general is a good example. I've never given a presentation to a sales team and I may never get to Prophetstown, Illinois but I know what it's like to love a family. You have a good heart and it shows in your writing. I suppose that's why I enjoy reading what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie, I feel exactly the same way! I enjoy that window into the daily lives of others as well. It's like a socially acceptable, guilt-free form of stalking. Of all the things that I thought would matter most to me in life, love of family is the one that continues to matter more and more, and everything else less and less. It's reassuring to know that most people come to the same conclusion.

    ReplyDelete