Sunday, March 23, 2014

Good news, bad news

The good news:

Feedback on the latest manuscript revision was good--the editor wanted a few more changes and additions. I made them. The new draft is going back this week.

My weight is down to 140 for the first time since 2011. It's been hovering around 144 for the past couple of years. I ran a 6:15 mile this weekend for the first time in a long time and felt okay. It feels good to have all the muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments cooperating. I used to take that for granted.

The bad news:

The Iowa Hawkeyes took fourth at the NCAA Wrestling Championships--fourth straight year without a title, and it was Penn State's fourth straight win. Why do I care about such things? I just do. I will always be a Hawkeye.

The worse news that I'm avoiding talking about:

I got laid off from my job. The one that pays the bills.

I don't take it (too) personally. Digital media is a tough business, which is also what makes it exciting--not to mention what makes good execs valuable.

I'm in a digital media exec group that meets for breakfast once a month; it's filled with extremely bright people with Harvard MBAs and impressive job titles. I think every person in the group has been laid off at some point during the past four years. Things always work out if you have marketable skills and a track record of not being a complete a-hole.

But it's not an enjoyable experience. It's stressful going through the process of finding a new job while the clock is ticking.

I'm not gonna brood over it. But it sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my Darlin'. You seem to be better than most with 'slings and arrows.' Damn, damn.
    Just loving you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel...let me know if you want to start our own company ;) XO kisses!

    ReplyDelete