Saturday, August 9, 2008

Boys' New Bed

The boys needed new beds. They'd outgrown their junior bunk beds, which had about 2 inches of space between the top and bottom and were apparently designed for Barbie.

So last weekend we went to Ikea and let them pick out new beds. I was expecting another bunk, or twins, or even a queen to share, but they chose a single with a pull-out trundle. ("COOL!" "I get to sleep in the pull-out part!" "No, I do!" "No, we'll take turns.")

Tonight we started setting it up in the boys' bedroom.

Samuel: No, I don't want it there.

Todd (humoring him, but confident that that's where it's going to go): Where do you want it?

Samuel: I want it here.

Todd: In the middle of the room? You want the bed in the middle of the room?

Samuel: Uh-huh.

Todd: Don't you think it'd look better against the wall?

Samuel: No.

Todd: See? Right here? There's a little nook that's exactly the right size.

Samuel: Uh-uh.

Todd: So it doesn't block the windows.

Samuel: I like blocking the windows so no one can see me.

Todd (brow beginning to twitch): Yeah, but that makes it harder to see out too.

Samuel: I don't care. It's like a little fort. See? The dresser blocks it off.

Todd: The dresser is only there because we had to move it away from the wall to put the bed in. That's not where the dresser is going to go.

You already know how this story ends,right?


No comments:

Post a Comment