Saturday, July 27, 2013

"Dad, there's a dead waterbug on the floor and we don't know what to do."


I'm guessing some dads would be annoyed that their 15-year-old son would call at work because he and his 12-year-old brother can't figure out how to throw a dead waterbug in the trash can with a paper towel.

I was happy to get that call.

It reminded me that they're not quite grown up yet.

It made me feel needed, in a simple Dad kind of way.

It made me happy to hear Samuel's voice on the other end of the phone. Who really cares why?

It made me consider the possibility that poor Samuel and Ethan will never be able to hold a job because in the middle of an important presentation to the CEO they'll see a waterbug and freak out.

That probably shouldn't make me happy, but it made me smile anyway.

Someday there may be phone calls about more serious things.

I much prefer frantic phone calls about waterbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment