Sunday, March 29, 2015

More Ninja Grandma

This was my fourth straight book-reading weekend--this time at McNally Jackson Bookstore in SoHo, a block away from the Dean & Deluca where Felicity worked. If you know what that means you're a child of the '90s. 

 




I hate making little kids sit still, because God knows I can't, so at the end of the reading I asked if anyone knew any ninja moves. A little boy raised his hand and said he wanted to do a ninja flip. I said, "Really? An actual flip?" He said, "Uh-huh." So I helped him do a slow-motion flip, to the delight of the audience.

At which point a little girl raised her hand--she also wanted to do a ninja flip. So we did. Then several other kids raised their hands. At which point I had to cut it off for fear of increasing the book store's insurance premiums.

I'm guessing Jamie Lee Curtis and Julie Andrews don't have interactive ninja flipping at their book readings.

Later Jen and I went out for dinner and stopped by B&N for coffee and dessert (and secretly to see if my book was out on the New Releases table or hidden spine-out in the A-Z shelves).



Okay--on the table. Good. Not flagged as a Top Pick, but, you know, let's not get greedy. I graciously accept my plot of table real estate with my neighbors, Rex Finds an Egg! Egg! Egg! and Cat & Bunny. We are small but happy cogs in the competitive ecosystem known as children's books.

2 comments: