Saturday, July 15, 2017

A teeny little sliver of a smile

My heart is the emotional equivalent of Mosul. It's war-torn and full of wreckage and devastation and smoldering ruins.

But it had a teeny little sliver of a smile this week. I know that's a mixed metaphor. I don't care.

Who knows? Optimism and pessimism and an open heart and it's good to hope but don't hope too much and it all blends together and it feels kinda good in a teenage scary butterflies kinda way that overpowers the jaded, I-will-die-alone-and-unloved kinda way. A teeny little sliver of a smile that starts in my heart and makes its way down to my toes and up to my face and it sneaks out, peeks out to the world, and I'm not gonna try to pretend it isn't there and I'm not gonna try and squash it, because I'm pretty f-ing thankful to have a sliver of a smile in my heart right now.

2 comments:

  1. I am willing to bet that you will not die alone and unloved, but it doesn't matter what I believe, what matters is what you believe right now. I am happy for you that a sliver of a smile is growing in your heart right now.

    ReplyDelete