Monday, April 25, 2011

Merlin's last walk


When I took Kahlua and Bailey out for a walk early this evening we met a buff Cocker Spaniel who was being carried by his owners. The woman tearfully explained that Merlin was 16 years old and this was his last walk.

They let me pet him and tell him what a good boy he was and how he seemed like he'd had a good life. I said he reminded me of the buff Cocker Spaniel I had when I was growing up--Daisy, who lived to be 14. (Pictured above, circa 1982, with her uptight sibling, Dixie, aka "Grinch Dog.")

At 10pm tonight I walked Kahlua and Bailey to Central Park to let them run around without their leashes. We don't do that very often. But it was a special occasion, in honor of all the Cocker Spaniels that anyone has ever loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment