Tuesday, May 27, 2014

What is it about summer?


I love summer more than any other season, and I love the start of summer most of all.

I spent Memorial Day with Ethan and his friend Aaron at Camelbeach. Samuel had a school project to work on, and Jen stayed home to be with him out of solidarity. I un-enthusiastically offered to cancel our rental car and stay home, but Jen knew I wanted to go.

There's just something about the beginning of summer, the promise of summer, all laid out ahead of us, not yet used, a brand new, just-opened package of warm sunshine and cool water and the smiles of Ethan and Aaron in all their joyous not-quite-manhood and babies in the kiddie pool and toddlers with water wings and swim diapers and laughing splashes and seaside limbs rushing to be next in line at the raft ride and cheeseburgers and ice cream and everything that is good in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment